Icicle Kit Linux Package Manager

Hello! I have a question about managing/installing software packages using the Linux distribution included with the PolarFire SoC Icicle Kit. I noticed the standard package managers (apt, yum, etc.) are not installed; is there a package manager included, and if so, is there any documentation on how to use it?

1 Like

Hi,
a package manager is not provided by default but you can add it using yocto. Anyway main problem is that you should have a repository with precompiled binaries to get packages from. I’m not aware of such a thing. Anyway using yocto you can either add the binaries you need and update the image or you can build your packages and set up your own repo.

2 Likes

Got it, thank you very much for the explanation! I figured that was the case but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something :slight_smile:

Actually there is this debian repository
https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V#Package_repository
but I never tested

2 Likes

The official linux image includes the (Yocto-specific) package manager “opkg”. But, as LDC has mentioned, there is no standard repository.
However, when you set up a build environment using GitHub - polarfire-soc/meta-polarfire-soc-yocto-bsp: PolarFire SoC yocto Board Support Package, you can build your own .opkg packages on the host and copy them over to the Icicle Kit and install them there.

1 Like